Re: mod_proxy_http rewrite problem

Thanks again Yann.

I'm not sure to understand, you want the request to be without
https://vanity.example.com) and with the suffix added between proxy
> and the backend (i.e. https://vanity.example.com/frontpage), right?

You are correct, this is exactly the behavior I'm looking to configure, the backend application needs the /frontpage path but we don't want users to need to add it.  However, I wish I could say I'm making progress but I'm really not other than I have a better understanding of why it's failing.

It does not matter if I append the /frontpage path to the end of the ProxyPath directive or the BalancerMember declarations.  Here is what happens:

Without any Rewrite directive, the request is directed to the backend per the ProxyPath declaration as:

 https://app(1|2|3).example.com:8443/frontpage using https://vanity.example.com

The backend then sends a request for 'GET /frontpage/login.jsp' using the vanity URL and it again hits the proxy.  However, the proxy just goes back through the same direction and again appends the request using ProxyPass.  It ends up looking like:

https://vanity.example.com/frontpage/frontpage/login.jsp instead of the desired https://vanity.example.com/frontpage/login.jsp

So, using the rewrite rule:

RewriteRule "^/frontpage(.+)" "$1" [R,L]

The initial page load works fine (it ends up being: https://vanity.example.com/login.jsp).  But any subsequent requests fail as they all begin with '/frontpage' as in:

GET /frontpage/path/to/file

And the rewrite rule again strips the '/frontpage' from the GET request and causes it to fail.

I have to imagine there is a rewrite condition or conditions that will allow for the desired behavior to work but I'm just not experienced enough yet.

I hope I have not completely confused the situation, any guidance is greatly appreciated as always..

HB

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi HB,

On Sun, Jun 10, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Herb Burnswell
<herbert.burnswell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I need the proxy to work as: https://vanity.example.com
>
> I'm thinking this may require use of  RewriteCond directives, however I may
> be going about this wrong.
>
> Is there a way to define an 'active' request to avoid looping through the
> same ProxyPass or ProxyPassMatch needed for an initial request?

I'm not sure to understand, you want the request to be without
"/frontpage" suffix between the browsers and the proxy (i.e.
https://vanity.example.com) and with the suffix added between proxy
and the backend (i.e. https://vanity.example.com/frontpage), right?

If this is the case, maybe something like this then (the opposite
rewrite of what I've told you so far :p ):
    ProxyPass / balancer://applicationcluster/frontpage/ ...
    ProxyPassReverse / balancer://applicationcluster/frontpage/
You would then remove the "/frontpage" suffix from the BalancerMember
declarations.

Since ProxyPass would do the rewrite from "/" => "/frontpage/", you
don't need mod_rewrite here.
There is no case where "/frontpage" (without the trailing '/') can
arrive on the backend side since ProxyPass will always start the
forwarded path with "/frontpage/", but I suppose "/frontpage" and
"/frontpage/" work equally on the backend no?

Hope that helps..

Regards,
Yann.