Re: mod_ratelimit working by steps ?

Hi,

Hello all,

I'm using Apache 2.4.24 on Debian 9 Stable, behind a DSL connection, with an estimated upload capacity of ~130kB/s.
I'm trying to limit the bandwidth available to my users (per-connection limit is fine).
However, it seems to me that the rate-limit parameter is coarsely grained :

- if I set it to 8, users are limited to 8 kB/s
- if I set it to 20, or 30, users are limited to 40 kB/s
- if I set it to 50, 60 or 80, users are limited to my BW, so ~120 kB/s

(tests were done by changing the parameter, restarting apache, then downloading a file using Firefox. Observed speed is the one given by Firefox).

I found at least one person with a similar problem :
https://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/101988/strange-behaviour-with-apache-mod-ratelimit

It seems to me that rate-limit is working by steps, rather than using the inputed value. Is it expected ? Could something else on my network stack be the culprit ?

Thanks for reading !

I created a 4MB file and rate limited its directory container in the httpd's conf, and tested 8/20/30/etc.. settings as you suggested with curl:

curl http://localhost/test.txt > /dev/null (in this way I drop the returned response but keep the curl's connection metadata summary).

In every case I get the expected result (average Dload speed).

Did you execute your performance tests in localhost? And also, did you use another tool other than Firefox? I'd be curious to know your results with curl executed in localhost.

Thanks!

Luca