Re: problems benchmarking php-fpm/proxy_fcgi with h2load

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 8:27 PM, Luca Toscano <toscano.luca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Hajo,

>> Hi Hajo,

>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> Am 22.01.2018 um 11:54 schrieb Hajo Locke:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Am 19.01.2018 um 15:48 schrieb Luca Toscano:
>>>
>>> Hi Hajo,

>>> Before giving up I'd check two things:
>>>
>>> 1) That the same results happen with a regular localhost socket rather
>>> than a unix one.
>>>
>>> I changed my setup to use tcp-sockets in php-fpm and proxy-fcgi.
>>> Currently i see the same behaviour.
>>>
>>> 2) What changes on the php-fpm side. Are there more busy workers when
>>> enablereuse is set to on? I am wondering how php-fpm handles FCGI requests
>>> happening on the same socket, as opposed to assuming that 1 connection == 1
>>> FCGI request.
>>>
>>> If "enablereuse=off" is set i see a lot of running php-workerprocesses
>>> (120-130) and high load. Behaviour is like expected.
>>> When set "enablereuse=on" i can see a big change. number of running
>>> php-workers is really low (~40). The test is running some time and then it
>>> stucks.
>>> I can see that php-fpm processes are still active and waiting for
>>> connections, but proxy_fcgi is not using them nor it is establishing new
>>> connections. loadavg is low and benchmarktest is not able to finalize.
>>>
>>> I did some further tests to solve this issue. I set ttl=1 for this Proxy
>>> and achieved good performance and high number of working childs. But this is
>>> paradoxical.
>>> proxy_fcgi knows about inactive connection to kill it, but not reenable
>>> this connection for working.
>>> May be this is helpful to others.
>>>
>>> May be a kind of communicationproblem and checking health/busy status of
>>> php-processes.
>>> Whole proxy configuration is  this:
>>>
>>> <Proxy "unix:/dev/shm/php70fpm.sock|fcgi://php70fpm">
>>>     ProxySet enablereuse=off flushpackets=On timeout=3600 max=15000
>>> </Proxy>
>>> <FilesMatch \.php$|\.php70$>
>>>    SetHandler "proxy:fcgi://php70fpm"
>>> </FilesMatch>
>>

>> Thanks a lot for following up and reporting these interesting results!
>> Yann opened a thread[1] on dev@ to discuss the issue, let's follow up in
>> there so we don't keep two conversations open.
>>
>> Luca
>>
>> [1]:
>> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/a9586dab96979bf45550c9714b36c49aa73526183998c5354ca9f1c8@%3Cdev.httpd.apache.org%3E
>>

> reporting in here what I think it is happening in your test environment when
> enablereuse is set to on. Recap of your settings:
>
> /etc/apache2/conf.d/limits.conf
> StartServers          10
> MaxClients          500
> MinSpareThreads      450
> MaxSpareThreads      500
> ThreadsPerChild      150
> MaxRequestsPerChild   0
> Serverlimit 500

> <Proxy "unix:/dev/shm/php70fpm.sock|fcgi://php70fpm/">
> [...]

We should definitely spell out the impact of enablereuse on php-fpm
specifically.

I think one thing that is missing in the above recap is that w/o H2
given MaxClients=500, the impact is probably nil because there are
simply not enough server threads to max out the pool and still try to
make new connections.

With H2, you have N additional h2 worker threads per process, so it
puts it as out of balance as if MaxClients were larger but
pm.max_children were not.