SSI conditionals AFTER apache auth?

Evening everyone,

I'm trying to make it so that only certain elements on a web page are visible to users logged in, and are otherwise not displayed using mod_include flow control. The only way I've been able to do that so far is to detect the cookie that the apache auth sets, which works sort of. Of course if I just manually set the cookie in my browser then the stuff shows and just confuses the whole setup I put. I know from reading the docs that %{REMOTE_USER} isn't exposed to these conditionals due to the order of operations. However, it'd be super-cool if it WERE. I know that filter processing can be tweaked to a degree with mod_filter, so I'm wondering if I can instruct apache to process authentication ahead of mod_include? I couldn't find anything directly saying yes or no, so figured I'd see if anyone on here knew one way or the other, or see if anyone had any other suggestions for accomplishing what I'm looking for.

Appreciate your help!