Re: Apache Reverse Proxy and NTLM Authentication Help!

Deanna,

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 3:17 AM, Deanna Stevenson <dstevensone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Yann. I am on ubuntu 16.04 and apache 2.4.8, and looks like the MPM
> module I have right now is "event", which seems to be default for modern
> OSs. It seems like in 2.4 I can load different MPM modules at run time, and
> don't have to recompile apache. Do you agree?

Yes, no need to recompile, the loaded MPM is per configuration.
Thus there must be two different Apache httpd instances to run
different MPMs at the same time.

> If yes, can I switch back and
> forth between prefork and event easily,

If you want a single instance, that's the one or the other for *all*
your virtual hosts, but yes you can switch between them with a restart
(probably not a graceful one).

> or do I need to plan for anything

Personnaly I'd run two separate instances, without touching the existing one.
That implies a separate listening IP addresses (or a different port)
for the new instance, though.
The prefork instance would be isolated, with its own configuration
file probably standalone and simpler than the whole "/etc/apache2/"
tree for the system's instance (something like a single
"/etc/apache2/apache2-prefork.conf" per ubuntu nomenclature, with its
own "LoadModule mpm_prefork_module
/usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_mpm_prefork.so").
Yet the same apache2 binary (and common modules' binaries) would be
used to run the two instances, that way they will be as usually with
the system.
The prefork instance would just have to be started sperately (by the
system) with a reference to its own configuration file, the way to do
this depends on your or ubuntu's policy though, either systemd or a
init.d starter, your choice..

> (other than MPM prefork using more resources, is it going to corrupt any
> other dependencies?), as this is in production, and am using this in
> conjunction with mod security.

MPM prefork won't run mod_http2 for example, I think mod_security is
fine with prefork (not sure).
This is something very specific to your architecture and applications,
that's why I wouldn't change something working already and just create
a new prefork configuration from scratch (or inspired from the
existing event one) and run it separately.

Regards,
Yann.