Re: Apache creates Semaphore

Hi Yann,

For my product I need to run apache as single process. As httpd -X works for me. But the issue is to stop httpd -X, we need to kill process. While killing the process, semaphore exists in kernel directory.
If I repeat for 10-15 times, then it will give error like no space available on device.
To solve this error, either I need to explicitly kill each semaphore id and then start. So I thought not to create semaphore itself.
Therefore I commented following lines in worker.c

if ((rv = SAFE_ACCEPT((apr_snprintf(id, sizeof id, "%i", i),ap_proc_mutex_create(&all_buckets[i].mutex,NULL, AP_ACCEPT_MUTEX_TYPE,  id, s, pconf, 0))))) {
           ap_log_error(APLOG_MARK, APLOG_CRIT | level_flags, rv, (startup ? NULL : s),  "could not create accept mutex");
                 return !OK;

 After commenting above line, when I am starting httpd -X, it is giving signal 31 error. When starting with httpd, its only starting parent and killing child processes with signal 31 error.

What should I change if I want to start apache in debug mode and not to create semaphore ?

Thanks
Hemant

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Yann Ylavic <ylavic.dev@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Hemant,

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 5:47 AM, Hemant Chaudhary
<hemantdude.chaudhary@gmail.com> wrote:

> Semaphore is used in multi process environment to share resources within
> processes. But when I am starting apache in debug mode i:e single process
> then still it creates semaphore. May I know the reason why it is creating
> semaphore in debug mode also.

The debug mode has no particular code optimization or walkout,
precisely because we want to be able to diagnose potential bugs for
the non-debug case.

Regards,
Yann.