ProxyPass ordering

I have a site where multiple locations are mapped to different Proxy balancers named balancer1, balancer2, balancer3 etc. One of the locations mapped is root, "/", and according to the documentation, if that ProxyPass mapping comes last in the config, it should work as expected. Instead, with Apache2.4.27, I see everything being sent to the balancer that I've mapped "/" to. The ProxyPass directives are inside Location directives but they are in the correct order.

Does having the ProxyPass directives inside Location directives interfere with the ordering? Is this a known problem? If so, is there a work-around or recommended way to support a config like this in the latest apache release.

Thanks,
Vic