Re: Apache responds in https, but only by test page, not my website

Hi Eric, thank you.

I'm not expert, I did not understand what to do... Regarding logs, I defined:

<VirtualHost *:443>
    DocumentRoot /home/web/centrometeo.com
    ServerName centrometeo.com
    ErrorLog logs/https-centrometeo.com-error_log
    CustomLog logs/https-centrometeo.com-access_log common
</VirtualHost>

So, using differents name/files, but after a few attempts to access via https, empty files were created, so there is nothing in the logs.

Fabio.

On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 12:28 PM, Fabio F.Gervasi
<fabio.gervasi70@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In order to switch from http to https, I have already obtained my SSL
> certificates. But my problem is to run the Apache webserver (Server version:
> Apache/2.4.23 (Fedora) with https (no problems with http). I mean. For the
> http I'm using succesfully:
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>     ServerAdmin myname@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>     DocumentRoot /home/web/mydomain.com
>     ServerName mydomain.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> But when I define also:
>
> <VirtualHost *:443>
>     ServerAdmin myname@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>     DocumentRoot /home/web/mydomain.com
>     ServerName mydomain.com
> </VirtualHost>
>
> the server responds in https, typing in the browser https://www.mydomain.com
> (obviously giving me a certificate warning because I have the certificate
> but I have not yet configured the server with it) but return to me only the
> Apache test page and not the site.

I'd start by checking for other vhosts on either port (apachectl -S)
then drilling down to individual URL's that return bad results / where
the proper content comes from / finding the configuration for it.

Using custom log files in your vhosts is one way to avoid some of the confusion.

--
Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx