Access control to allow local clients or remote with SSL client certificate

Greetings,

Running Apache 2.4.7 and current configuration limiting access to a directory to only clients that can provide a trusted client certificate. Server is SSL host. Would like to modify configuration to allow "local" clients (127.0.0.1, etc. as defined by 'Require local' auth provider) to access the directory without authenticating with a client certificate. So the local host may access the directory without SSL client auth, but all others must authenticate with a client certificate or access is forbidden. What is the best/proper way to do this?

I'd like to use modern directives (avoiding Allow, Deny, Order etc. from mod_access_compat) but I'm not clear how to combine Require related directives with mod_ssl options like SSLVerifyClient.

--
Darren Spruell
phatbuckett@xxxxxxxxx