Suggestion/Question about HTTP & HTTPS configurations

Hello,

I am a user of Apache in the sense that I install it, configure it and run it to host sites...I'm hoping this is the correct list to send this to.

Anyway, I recently did my first "from scratch" Apache install, build and configuration in a cloud server (I had always used cPanel & WHM before).

My suggestion is that Apache should "assume" that port 80 for HTTP and port 443 for HTTPS and that they both serve the same content.

I'm not suggesting people shouldn't be able to customize it, but adding duplicate and redundant directives for each Virtual Host for HTTP and HTTPS seems unneeded.

In short, I'm suggesting a "smart default" that in the absence of a specific Virtual Host configuration for HTTPS, just assumes that the HTTPS matches the HTTP config for that Virtual Host.

Background: I got Apache (2.4.x) up and running on a Debian VM, configured all my Virtual Hosts, installed an SLL certificate and went to view the HTTPS version of a site.

I was redirected to the 'default' page for the server (not the default page for the Virtual Host).

I then realized I needed additional, identical rules for that Virtual Host for HTTPS on port 443...simply put, it seems like that extra level of configuration shouldn't be required...that it should work that way automagically unless specifically configured otherwise.

If not, I'd love to know why that's a bad idea.

Thanks!