Re: Handling 413 Errors with ProxyPass

On Mon, 2017-05-01 at 15:08 +0800, Liwei wrote:
> Hi list,
>     I'm seeing an unexpected behaviour when a 413 Request Entity Too
> Large error occurs on a site proxied with Apache 2.4.25. There is an
> ErrorDocument configured for this error but it does not show up as
> (from the error page itself):
>     "Additionally, a 413 Request Entity Too Large error was
> encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the
> request."

I'm not clear on the division of responsibilities between
your proxy and backend here.  Is this Apache as proxy generating
a recursive error?  Is it the proxy or the backend that's rejecting
the request (and thus generating a 413) in the first place?
Is the 413 being generated due to a Content-Length header, or
actual request data, or something else?  Is there an
Expect ... 100 Continue negotaition anywhere there?

>     I do see the error page being requested on the proxied site by
> Apache, but Apache does not show it.

What do you mean by an error page being requested?

>     Is this expected or unexpected behavior?

No.  That "Additionally ..." is fallback if normal processing fails.

Can't be sure, but I suspect you've found a bug (the alternative
is a configuration error).  If you can come up with a test case
to reproduce the behaviour, an entry in Bugzilla would be in order.

--
Nick Kew