mod_proxy_balancer and multiple (dynamic) backends?

Folks;

unsure whether this is the right place to ask and whether this is possible to be accomplished out of
the box at all: So far we run an apache 2.4 mod_proxy balancer in front of several backend services.
So far there are four backend instances configured into one balancer. This works pretty well but it
has a drawback: We can't easily add new instances at runtime without manually changing and reloading
the apache configuration. Likewise, I would appreciate having a process that dynamically and
automatically adds new balancer backends while "deactivating" old ones to be at least sure no new
sessions go there so it can be brought down as soon as all active sessions have ended.

Is this kind of "dynamics" possible with apache / mod_proxy / balancer? Any recommendations on that?
TIA and all the best,
Kristian