Re: Conditionally LoadModule?

On 11/15/2016 09:19 AM, Nick Kew wrote:
So IfFile joins IfDefine and the infamous[1] IfModule.  What next?
We can't get rid of them in the lifetime of 2.4, but maybe thereafter
they could come together?

Is there a way we could provide a "startup-time" subset of ap_exprs?

[1] because it gives rise to so much confusion amongst users.

Is that because of a problem in <IfModule> itself, or just in its overuse? (E.g., on IRC we tend to complain about it, not because it's confusing, but because it has achieved cargo-cult status: people use it everywhere whether they need it or not, and it silently covers up their failure to load modules they need, which is exactly as designed.)

Also, tangential but related: it would be very nice if, for a 2.next or 3.0, we explicitly separated directives that ran at different times by their syntax. <IfDefine/Module> are like C preprocessor directives, in that they affect what the server sees in the configuration. <If> is a request-time conditional. They should really not look so similar.

--Jacob