Order of operation sequence / How do I get around it?

Hi,

I have a pretty standard install out of the box from Amazon AWS of Apache 2.4.23 (Amazon). I installed into it PHP 5.6.26. The php install included a php.conf in /etc/httpd/conf.d that had

    <FilesMatch \.php$>

        SetHandler application/x-httpd-php

    </FilesMatch>

which makes complete sense. However, In a VirtualHost block for my website I put :

Action cgi-wrapper /xcgi-bin/phpit/user

AddHandler cgi-wrapper .php

which I want to run when anyone requests a .php file. However, that didn't work. It appears that the FilesMatch in the base was still overriding the AddHandler in the VirtualHost. If I comment out the FilesMatch, my Addhandler fires.

1) Is there a reference somewhere about "order of operations" of commands, or which take precedence over others without skimming every page?
2) Is there another way to implement what I want in my Virtual Host so I don't have to comment out the FilesMatch?

Thanks, Tuc