Removing backend server from ProxyBalancer

Hi All,

we are using mod_proxy, mod_proxy_balancer as LB.
I have a use case to dynamically remove the BalancerMember from ProxyBalancer.
I am arrived with 2 approaches. But I got some doubt in approach 2.

Approach 1:

First shutdown the backend server which is added as BalancerMember in apache, then remove the entry from ProxyBalancer directive?

Approach 2:

Can we remove the BalancerMember directly from ProxyBalancer directive,do graceful restart,then shut down the backend server? If we go by this approach, since entry for the backend server is removed and apache is gracefully restarted first, will the request being processed by this backend server be sent back to client via apache, before shutting down the backend server?. Will there be any issue?

Request you to suggest which approach would be better.

Thanks & Regards,
Mohan