How to debug the PHP component of Apache2

  My index.php file is compiled correctly when I use one of my PHP
executables outside Apache, but fails when I ask Apache to serve it
(and fails leaving a blank error log unfortunately). So I'm trying to
understand how and where the two PHP compilations start behaving
differently.

  With my outside-Apache PHP executable, I only need to edit the
php.ini file to use xdebug and get first-class debugging.
 I have no idea how to do the parallel analysis with Apache however.
AFAIK, there is no PHP executable inside Apache, just a shared library
likeat /libexec/apache2/libphp5.so, and I do not know how to debug
that. Does Apache have a php.ini file also? My current system is Mac
El Capitan by the way.