Re: Trouble connecting virtual host to MySQL

On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 3:50 PM, Richard
<lists-apache@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You are (likely) getting to two different places with these requests.

  That's not what is happening IMHO, see below. Let me repeat
that the problem only appears when I use MySQL.

> The url: <http://www.localmicael.com> is getting you to
> "Mikeal/public_html", while [<http://]localhost:8888/Mikeal> is
> probably getting you to the level above.

 I can type any of [http://]localhost:8888/Mikeal[/public_html][/index.php],
all those will make my browser correctly serve the index.php file
located precisely at
/Users/myusernamehere/Documents/Sites/Mikeal/public_html/index.php

  Also, shouldn't <http://www.localmicael.com> lead to
this very same file, according to what I specified in
/private/etc/apache2/extra/httpd-vhosts.conf (see first post) ?

> Exactly what is going on is
> somewhat obscured because you don't show the configuration for your
> server at ":8888".

   This 8888 port is used by the MAMP application on my Mac, and is nowhere
mentioned in the Apache conf files I edited. Do you advise me to post here
the lengthy output of MAMP's start page or its even lengthier
phpinfo output ? Are there specific parameters you think might be
revelant ?

> is "Mikeal/public_html" a directory or a
> file? It should be a directory.

It is a  directory indeed.

> you seem to have two virtual hosts configured (one at :80 and
> one at :8888) and the php files have different references for mysql.

 I naturally thought of modifying a $db_port parameter in my PHP code,
setting it to 80 or 8888 or some other random value, but the problem
stayed exactly the same : the page displays correctly if I use that
8888 port (i.e. using my MAMP server), but fails if I try to use
Apache directly.