Re: Apache permissions stabs new Linux user in face with icepick. Suggestions?

On 10/03/16 01:40, Francis Roy wrote:
> This is a new install of Linux Mint 17.x with the default Apache/2.4.7
> (Ubuntu) install at /etc/apache2
> My websites, plain html and PHP are kept on a different hard-drive.
> /media/username/Terrabyte/00_Server/htdocs

Francis ...
Since security on Linux is a high priority, many of the default actions
are set up with that in mind.
When Apache is installed it uses it's own user and group and if the demo
site is also created this is owned by that. I think Ubuntu uses
'www-data' and 'www' so the tidy way of changing your setup is to

chown -R www-data:www /media/username/Terrabyte/00_Server/htdocs

Then the chmod can be locked down again.

Of cause this will be a problem if you want to edit the content of the
htdoc tree since you no longer own them. I have to admit to simply
opening up access on the development machines, but on production sites I
copy the new files over then correct their user/group.

Another way around the 'problem' if you are the only user on the machine
is to edit the User/Group settings in the apache config files. This can
be fun to find, and used to be in apache.conf, but that may simply link
to uid.conf ... each distribution seems to have it's own preferences on
setting this up.

Adding to the jigsaw, the user for a database connection on the same
machine may be different again. All of this is not really an 'icepick',
but makes a lot more sense once one switches off from M$ mode.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL