Re: Apache permissions stabs new Linux user in face with icepick. Suggestions?

On Mar 9, 2016, at 6:38 PM, Francis Roy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thank you that answers my question quite nicely. It's not a giant flag waving at the internet, but if someone got a hold of my machine directly, it could provide a small bit of information used in a general strategy.

Right. It's not automatically unsafe to allow other users to see your mounted disks' contents[1], but the casual user's expectation is that user A can't tell what files user B has, so the default setup is to disallow that.

But if you *want* to expose some files to other users (in this case, to the "_www" user that Apache runs as) then it's reasonable to give them execute (aka search) and possibly read permission.