Re: Query on number of child process created for worker MPM

Thank you for reply. Please find below for further comments..

On 11 Feb 2016, at 10:31 PM, Luca Toscano <toscano.luca@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Rajesh!

My comments inline:

I am running apache 2.2 version on Linux OS and there is no configuration values defined in my apache configuration.

I believe it takes all below default values.

Please set the values that you need in the configuration files, relying on the default ones is not the best option. You should set your operational values; it is easier to figure out where the inconsistencies are. I also assume that you are using the worker mpm (https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/worker.html#how-it-works), but could you please confirm?

Yes. I am using worker MPM.

I am observing sometimes child process are reaching 30 to 32.

Processes or threads? Are you sure that you are checking them correctly?

I am talking about child process not threads. I know based on requests child process creates. But my doubt is as per the default ServerLimit value I should have 16 child process. Looks my understanding is incorrect.

I was in an impression the child process can create only 16 as per above default ServerLimit value. Could you please clarify on this?

"Two directives set hard limits on the number of active child processes and the number of server threads in a child process, and can only be changed by fully stopping the server and then starting it again. ServerLimit is a hard limit on the number of active child processes, and must be greater than or equal to the MaxClients directive divided by the ThreadsPerChild directive. ThreadLimit is a hard limit of the number of server threads, and must be greater than or equal to the ThreadsPerChild directive."

Also I am seeing MaxClients reached when I restart apache server. So that means it will error MaxClients reached only once in server life?

This question is a bit unclear, can you add a bit more info?

I am getting MaxClients setting reached in error logs when I restart Apache instance.
My question is...that message will only be generated once per server lifetime?
 [error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting

Thanks!

Luca