Re: Blocking of users [was: Apache Server Access]

Hi, Reference:
> From:		William A Rowe Jr <wrowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Reply-to:	users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date:		Thu, 14 Jan 2016 11:19:58 -0600

Top posting is bad !

Also best reconfig your mailer:
- Double posting plain text & HTML is a waste of space & bandwidth
- quoted-printable can be harder to edit replies, & usually redundant.

William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> --001a11c31322051df305294e7fde
>
> Precisely.  We are likely to be switching mailing list mgmt platforms very
> soon,

Whichever server software is retained, or switched to, it should
be configured to do a better job of giving unsubscribe clues to than:

	Footer: Nothing !!

Most inadequate !  My default majordomo lists were equally inadequate,
till I realised sufficient for us computer literates is not sufficient
for the incompetent public.

Tobias pointed out a replacement info@ recipient may be incompetent.
Both http + mailto URLs in both header & footer would help,
esp. if target http:// pages had automatic translation links.

It may not be the fault of ezlm or whatever, just as it was not the
fault of majordomo when I first configured a default majordomo
server; All my lists since got better headers And footers to rescue
clueless people who can't even create clean non html simple ascii
unbroken unsubscribe command lines.

>  with luck we can preserve the subscribed address in such a way that
> unsubscribing users is less of a hassle.  Right now the embedded
> list-unsubscribe fails to suggest the specific email address that needs to
> be unlinked.

Another problem I've seen too, when would be unsubscribers are
receiving redirected, too cluless to know how to insepct headers,
& there's no URL on this list pointing to a help page.

> Third party subscriptions, unintentional or harassing the individual or the
> list, will happen.  Let's assume the best intentions of users stuck in a
> list, please.

>From long experience I assume most who yell "unsub me" are too lazy
to learn, even after one adds extra help URLS in footer & header.
But this list doesn't provide enough clues to those who would learn
to help themselves.

Samples of headers & footers from lists I configured are live on eg
list name zz-test via majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx http://berklix.org/help/

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey,  BSD Linux Unix Sys. Eng. Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply After previous text to preserve context, as in a play script.