mod_fcgid: does FcgidMinProcessesPerClass work?

Greetings,

If I set FcgidMinProcessesPerClass to 5, it doesn't maintain 5
application worker processes at apache startup time or otherwise. It
starts with 0 workers, when I hit the app with one curl, it starts up
one, and when I hit the app with 10 concurrent connections, it fires
up nine workers, which are reaped after FcgidIdleTimeout, bringing the
count back down to 1 (docs for FcgidIdleTimeout claim it should
respect FcgidMinProcessesPerClass). Keeping the count below a defined
limit via FcgidMaxProcessesPerClass seems to work fine. But its sister
property, FcgidMinProcessesPerClass, documented at
http://httpd.apache.org/mod_fcgid/mod/mod_fcgid.html#fcgidminprocessesperclass,
doesn't behave as I would expect.

I'm running a rails 4.2 app on apache 2.4.7, mod_fcgid 2.3.9, and
ubuntu 14.04.3. I created this docker project to demonstrate what I'm
seeing: https://github.com/burnettk/repro-mod-fcgid-bug/blob/master/README.md.
You can dig around in the github project or actually fire up the
docker container following the steps in the README and inspect all of
the configs I haven't explicitly defined.

So I'm wondering if FcgidMinProcessesPerClass works for anyone else (I
decided to start here before filing a bug), and, if it can work, if
you can spot the misconfiguration preventing it from working in the
above steps.

Thanks!
KB