Re: php.conf and PHP-FPM

On 11/13/2015 11:46 AM, Rose, John B wrote:
> mod_php is not enabled.
>
> So you are saying if mod_php is NOT enabled and we are using
> PHP-FPM, then php.conf is not used?
>
> Or we should rename it? Comment all the lines in it out?
>
> What drew our attention to this is the "DirectoryIndex index.php"
> line in php.conf and was it conflicting with our "DiretcoryIndex"
> line in httpd.conf.

So ... possibly several different misunderstandings going on here.

First of all, "php.conf" is just an arbitrary file name. httpd doesn't
care what you name your configuration files, whether it's php.conf,
foo.bar.conf, or mylittlepony.conf. (And even the .conf is arbitrary.)
If a file is Include'ed, then it's used.

So if you have

Include *.conf

Then any file named anything.conf is loaded and "used".

Contrariwise, if you have

Include conf/*

then ANY file in that directory is included and used in your
configuration.

So, yeah, if you have a file named php.conf (or boogity.conf) and
you've Include'ed it, then it's "used".

As to whether you should rename/delete/comment the configuration file,
it depends entirely on what's in it, and whether you want that
configuration to be active. If what's in it is directives that enable
mod_php, then you are probably safe removing the file, in your
particular situation, where you're using php-fpm

On the other hand, if you're still using mod_php for something, then
you might still need that file, or, at least, the directives that are
contained in it.

Is that clearer?

- --Rich

> Thanks

> If you're asking if you need mod_php enabled, then, no, you don't
> need that when you're using php-fpm

- --
Rich Bowen - rbowen@xxxxxxxxxxx - @rbowen
http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon