Re: <If> causes internal redirect

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 2:36 PM,  <gobbledance@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not looking for an alternative or a workaround, I actually need to know why the <If> causes this to happen. It seems like a bug to me. I haven't tried 2.4.16 but there are no related changelog entries between 2.4.10 and 2.4.16.

RewriteRule substitutions always work that way in per-directory
context because they need to be introduced back into the parts of the
server that has already run by the time it's late enough to process
these.    This includes complicated stuff like peeling off the
documentroot and peeking at the first componnt of the path to see if
it lives on disk.

<If> counts as per-directory like Location and Directory and htaccess.
Anything that isn't global/vhost context is per-dir.

I don't really understand what goes wrong in this case though with the
internal redirect happening.