My LAMP Back Up And Running

Thanks to all that posting help.

To review, I was running Ubuntu 12.04 did an on-line upgrade to 14.04 and it broke my PHP. All efforts to fix failed.

So I did a clean install from DVD. Having /home on a separate drive made this much less complex that it otherwise would have been.

I backed up everything! That is, I believe, why the install went quite well.

Lots of speed bumps, of course. Having to install all those utility apps when I first needed them.

And I stumbled a bit when I restored my hosts file and got the permissions wrong :(

But I did the install over the weekend, when then was no pressure to get back up and running. I could walk away and come back later. The idea that I had a permissions problem came to me while out at a pub!

So in future I plan to upgrade to new versions, a couple months after release, and do a clean install over a lazy weekend!

The system now is noticeably "snappier" than before. I like.

--
Stephen
www.roissy.ca