Re: mod_headers: REQUEST_URI for static files

On Sat, 2015-06-06 at 13:38 +0200, Christian Weiske wrote:
> Hello,
>

> To fulfil the requirements of the PubSubHubbub 0.4 spec[1], I have to
> send a rel=self header for each file.
>
> I'm trying to do that with mod_header and the following configuration:
>
> > Header append Link '<http://example.org%{REQUEST_URI}e>; rel="self"'

> Why does it not work with static files?
> What can I do to fix that?

The CGI environment (all those variables like %{REQUEST_URI})
is only set when the server has reason to suppose it's needed.
It's an overhead you don't normally want when serving static pages!
mod_headers didn't support variable interpolation at all until
relatively recently, and doesn't trigger the setting.

I guess what we should really have, given the way their
use has spread to ever more functions and modules, is an
explicit configuration option to force setting them.

In the meantime, your lowest-overhead way to turn them on may
be just to enable mod_rewrite (which has always had them).
Not sure if RewriteEngine On would be sufficient; if it isn't
you could set the header itself in a rewriterule.

--
Nick Kew