Re: Documentation for /etc/sysconfig/httpd file

On 06/03/2015 10:31 AM, Jens-U. Mozdzen wrote:
Hi Dirk,

Zitat von Dirk Devos <dirk.devos@xxxxxxx>:
Hi,

I am running Redhat 7.1 and apache 2.4 but I am not able to find any
documentation on the "/etc/sysconfig/httpd" file.
[...]
This works.

HTTPD_ENV_NAME="devl"

I have tried the following with no success.

HTTPD_HOSTNAME=`hostname`
HTTPD_HOSTNAME=${hostname}
HTTPD_HOSTNAME=$(hostname)

the first an the last line should work (while I prefer the $() version)
- what catches the eye is the change in variable names (HTTPD_ENV_NAME
vs. HTTPD_HOSTNAME)...

Regards,
Jens

Couple of starter points
1) the apache httpd project is not responsible for the distribution specific builds. The /etc/sysconfig/httpd thing is a red hat-ism.
2) you should contact red hat for support on that

In general /etc/sysconfig/httpd (which at some point will be deprected -it already is with fedora as systemd generally doesn't use /etc/sysconfig files) are simply ./sourced into the init script environment. So if the particular VARNAME value is actually USED by the distro init scripts and passed into it's httpd configuration, it will be used. If it's not, then it doesn't actually have any impact at all. So you'll want to look more closely at the init script and the httpd configuration files to even know if what you're trying to do in /etc/sysconfig/httpd is doable.

Andy