Help - 2.2 to 2.4 migration onto new server failing

Help!  I have been running Apache 2.2 for quite a few years on an old Windows 2000 Server that recently died.  I have a new Windows 2012 R2 server and trying to get Apache loaded on the new server.  It seemed like a good opportunity to upgrade from 2.2 to 2.4 in the process so that is what I installed on the new server.  I went through the config file and changed the few things that I caught that had to be changed, but the Apache service wont even start.  If I go into services and manually start it, I get an error message that says the service could not be started and gives a very generic error message that says to look in the Windows System event log for details.  When I look in the Windows System event log, all is says is that the service shut down due to an invalid function.  Finally renamed config files so that it had the default  "It works" configuration, and get the same problem.

Anyone have an brilliant ideas?

Jim