Re: Fwd: E tag numbers

Hi Steve,

ETag numbers are - roughly - checksums of the files being requested
which can be used in caching mechanisms.

The only directive in the configuration of an Apache HTTP server
directly related to the ETag validator is 'FileETag':
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/core.html#fileetag

Please take a look at these pages for a more thorough explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_ETag
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html (Section 14.19)

Best Regards,
Mathijs Schmittmann