Re: Question about server-status output

On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 11:42 AM, Rose, John B <jbrose@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> So if Maxclients is less than 256 then ServerLimit is not set. In that
> case ServerLimit defaults to 256? Therefore there should always be at
> least 256 spots there, unless for some reason you set ServerLimit lower
> than 256. Which you should not do? I am pretty sure I have seen much less
> than 256 spots there somewhere along the line on some Apache server.
>
> So the number of positions is whatever the largest value is of MaxClients
> or ServerLimit if prefork. Or largest of MaxClients/MaxRequestWorkers or
> ServerLimit*ThreadLimit if threaded MPM?

Yes, the compiled-in default for ServerLimit in prefork is 256.

A low ServerLimit*ThreadLimit will cap what values httpd will let you
configure for MaxClients, as opposed to silently boosting.    There
are some elaborate messages that complain hen the relationship between
them is wrong and it will lower your MaxClients.

--
Eric Covener
covener@xxxxxxxxx