Re: Example Apache reverse proxy configuration for HTTPS frontend and several HTTP backends

On 08/03/2015 10:01 AM, "A M" <amm.priv2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello experts,
>
> I am trying to set up a classical frontend HTTPS Apache Reverse Proxy
> for a couple of plain backend HTTP servers sitting on a backend private
> network. The plaform is Centos 6, the Apache rpm is httpd-2.2.15-39.el6.centos.
>
> I first created three DNS entries, all pointing to the same public IP:
>
>          apachefrontend.example.com
>          appserver1.example.com
>          appserver2.example.com
>
> I then generated the SSL cert and key for the frontend host and verified that
> SSL config was correct (all settings and key/cert were defined inside the file
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf). The URL "https://apachefrontend.example.com"
> replied OK.
>
> I have then set up a forced redirection to port 443 on the mother
> server and defined two virtual hosts, in this manner:
>
> ..
> NameVirtualHost *:80

First change this:

> <VirtualHost *:80>
>      ServerName apachefrontend.example.com
>      RedirectMatch ^/(.*)    https://apachefrontend.example.com/$1
> </VirtualHost>

to:

<VirtualHost *:80>
     ServerName apachefrontend.example.com
       ServerAlias appserver1.example.com appserver2.example.com

     RedirectMatch ^/(.*)    https://%{HTTP_HOST}/$1
</VirtualHost>

Then get rid of these two:

> <VirtualHost *:80>
>      ServerName appserver1.example.com
>      ProxyRequests Off
>      ProxyPass / http://appserver1.backend/
>      ProxyPassReverse / http://appserver1.backend/
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>      ServerName appserver2.example.com
>      ProxyRequests Off
>      ProxyPass / http://appserver2.backend/
>      ProxyPassReverse / http://appserver2.backend/
> </VirtualHost>
> ..

More specific convert them to ssl vhosts:

<VirtualHost *:443>
     ServerName appserver1.example.com
     ProxyRequests Off
     ProxyPass / http://appserver1.backend/
     ProxyPassReverse / http://appserver1.backend/
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:443>
     ServerName appserver2.example.com
     ProxyRequests Off
     ProxyPass / http://appserver2.backend/
     ProxyPassReverse / http://appserver2.backend/
</VirtualHost>

which will effectively do what you want which is terminate ssl on the frontend.