building httpd 2.4 on windows x64

I've been trying to digest and understand all the details of building
apache httpd 2.4 on windows x64.
I tried to build it (along with pcre, openssl and zlib) as 64-bit and
got stuck when the build failed in visual studio 2010 after adding a x64
configuration to target.

A bit of digging and I came across this:
http://www.apachelounge.com/viewtopic.php?t=5877

Which has this post from Gregg Smith:

> Ugh, I forgot about that. While the APRs have a x64 build target, httpd does not. So it's really seeing x86. I've never had much luck with the IDE post 2008 even though I do have a script that converts the dsp files to x64 so I simply do not build in 2012 with the IDE, instead I build from the VS 2012 x64 command line using these sources;
>
> http://people.apache.org/~gsmith/httpd/releases/
>
> If you would rather not use those source files, all you really need from them is all the .mak and .dep files. You also (for 2012) need the module.mk.win file from srclib/apr-iconv/build since 2012 doesn't like precompiled headers much and will not build all the iconv modules if those compiler flags are present and they've been removed from this one.

I'll admit flat out that I'm not a windows person at all and loathe
having to do anything on the platform but unfortunately don't have much
of a choice :).  But I can follow a recipe and generally dig in and
understand what's going on fairly well.

I'd like to try to avoid having to actually rely on the artifacts
generated by Gregg because I don't like having the "single point of
failure".

Does anyone actually have a recipe, or something to explain to a windows
newbie what has to be done to generate the same artifacts so I can learn
this myself?  Is it possible, or does it make sense that the httpd
project try to include his script to convert the projects in the same
way that cvtdsp.pl is included with apr?

I did take a quick look at cmake.  I'm not sure if it'll solve the
problem but unfortunately we need mod_charset_lite, so that pretty much
rules out cmake for now.

Thanks,
Andy