MaxClients directive

Hello

Can somebody explain what the MaxClients directive really does and how it differs from total threads?
I am using Worker MPM.

What is considered a "Client" and how does it differ from a "thread"?
By my own findings, a "Client" is != ip address.

I can understand that MaxClients are restricted by ServerLimit x ThreadsPerChild but I don't understand why you ever want to set MaxClients lower than ServerLimit x ThreadsPerChild.

What is the real usage of MaxClients? Since there already are directives that limit number simultaneous connections (ThreadsPerChild x ServerLimit), what does this additional directive give?

As I understand it: MaxClients seems to limit total number of threads that you can use. If the directive works that way: When do you want to limit number of threads that you can use, when you can limit the total number of existing threads instead!?.

What should I look for if I want to monitoring number of "Clients" used (using ServerStatus for example) ?

// David