Update on password-protected directory problem

I found the problem, but can't explain it.

In my original site-specific .conf file I had a directory block giving
access to a directory that does not exist. It was a holdover from the
old system that was not duplicated/replicated on the new one. The odd
thing is that Apache didn't complain about the directory itself not
existing. What it did, though, was to let anyone in to the directory
block immediately preceding it, which *is* password-protected. When I
removed the directory block pointing to the non-existent directory,
the password--protected one displayed the normal username-and-password
access dialog as it should. Very odd.