RE: cannot figure out how to add a new user

HiHi!

I have several "htaccess" files and it is unclear which one and from which
directory to post. I'm running Apache HTTP Server on a Windows system.

The directory that the htaccess is in, that you point the htpasswd to, is the directory that that new username/password will affect.

I set it up Apache HTTP Server many years ago. In looking through my notes,
I apparently setup a second user (username and password) about 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, I have no recollection of how I did it, but the credentials
still work. Additionally, I have no idea how I setup my username and
password when I originally installed and configured Apache HTTP Server.

Actually the line in the htpasswd file with the username/password that -does- work -now-, you can copy/paste that to any other htpasswd file, and use htaccess to point to the file.

The real purpose of htpasswd is to create name/passwords -lines-. You can do anything you want with them. You don't -necessarily- have to use htpasswd to 'create the file and add the data.' Those are added features for convenience.

Have a :) day!

Jim

--
Jim Barchuk