questions and suggestions related to authentication

Looking at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/howto/auth.html
I am able to at least use file authentication.
I tried using dbd with DBDriver mysql but that reports
 Can't load driver file apr_dbd_mysql.so
and it's not obvious where to get that (using fedora 19).

So one question is where to find that, or how to find out.
Yum whatprovides is not helping so far.

In any case it's not really what I want.
What I really wanted seems to have been in mod_auth_mysql but that
seems to be no longer supported.

So another question is whether there's some other way to get that
functionality that I'm just not seeing.

This could have been supported by dbd if the user query were not
required to produce the password.  It would have made more sense to me
for the query to accept both the user and password and return at least
one row possibly containing other data if the user and password "match".
Then the query could have been something like
 select 1 from mysql.user where user=x and password=password(y)

So my next question is why that is not supported.
Alternatively, my first suggestion is that dbd should support that.

However, I also am surprised that I don't see some more general module
that allows the user to write his own script for authentication.
For instance, one could simply replace the dbd query with a url to
retrieve, again taking user and password parameters (either as get or
post parameters).
This proposed module would then be used something like this:
 AuthBasicProvider script
 AuthScriptURL http://localhost/authenticate.php?user=%s&pass=%s

which would seem to provide all the capability of all of the
other authentication modules (at the cost of writing a small amount
of code).

So my last question is why there isn't something like that.
Or alternatively, my last suggestion is that something like that be
provided.