Error when restarting server as root

I'm running version 2.2 on a Debian 4 system (OK, don't laugh please).
It's been running swell for years. And before anyone says the answer
to life, the universe and everything is to upgrade to 2.4, that's
already been done on a test bed, and yes, I'm having the same problem
over there. It's this: When entering the command:

./usr/sbin/apache2 -k restart

I receive the following response:

apache2: bad user name ${APACHE_RUN_USER}

If I grep for APACHE_USER_NAME in apache.conf it comes up defined as
www-data in an export statement. Same for the run group.

The server runs fine when the system is rebooted. The reason I want to
restart it is because I've made some changes to httpd.conf (added some
virtual hosts) and want to have them incorporated into the server's
normal operation. And just in case you might be thinking there's a
problem with my httpd.conf, there isn't. It passes syntax-checking,
and if I replace mine with the empty one that was there originally,
same error.

I think I've covered all the bases. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.