Re: MaxClients exceeded error message

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 8:52 AM, Robin Becker <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
An apache 2.2 mpm prefork  site which uses an external mod_fastcgi socket to django was experiencing slowdowns during a busy period.

The main symptom seemed to be a connection delay of up to 10 seconds.

At the time I saw the machine was not heavily loaded in cpu or memory, but there were a large number of apache processes; stupidly I didn't think to count them.

Later I looked for an error message related to MaxClients exceeded or similar, but could not see any.

It only appears once per generation, so it might have been days before you noticed the symptom.  (Generation: each fresh start or restart of the server is a generation.  This can be viewed from mod_status.)

I have upped the MaxClients setting from 150 to 300 and in another busy period don't see the slowdown although monitoring the apache process count shows it can exceed the old limit.

The django side of this is not especially fast and the single socket connection seems like it might be a choke point, but my understanding is that the django side of the fastcgi is also spawning children to handle the requests.

What are the effects of MaxClient limit being exceeded?

delays in processing new connections

depending on load and MaxClients and ListenBacklogs, some new connections might even get rejected

Should I have seen an error message if it was exceeded?

once per generation

--/--

It can be useful to log the response time in microseconds (%D in log format) in order to distinguish delays in the application (delay is reflected in value for %D) from delays before httpd starts processing it due to capacity tuning (delay not reflected in value for %D since it happened before processing started)

--
Robin Becker