Dynamic mass virtual hosting with SSL, SNI and certificates read from a DB/map

I understand how to do dynamic mass virtual hosting without SSL.
By that I mean the ability to add/remove virtual hosts without
restarting Apache or changing its configuration.

I understand how this can work with SSL if all the sites share
the same certificate.

Is there a way to do this if the sites do not share the same
certificate but are selected by SNI? Presumably I would need
the certificates to live in some form of database? I can’t
see how to do that with mod_ssl. Allegedly mod_nss does this
but I’d rather avoid that.

--
Alex Bligh