FallbackResource

I either have a problem with the use of the FallbackResource directive or I do not understand how it is designed to work. First, my setup:

Win 7 desktop
xampp 1.9.3 (Apache 2.4.9, PHP 5.11)

I have a single point access website at My_Domain/test/ configured via the usual mod_rewrite .htaccess scheme to redirect all dynamic content requests through index.php. Everything works as expected. I have tried to re-design the redirection scheme to use FallbackResource via the .htaccess, i.e. FallbackResource /test/index.php, and I get mixed results. All existing static content requests still get served as expected and all non-existing non-php requests get properly redirected to index.php. However, all requests for non existing php files just return a 404 error. If I understand the design intent correctly, they should get redirected to index.php.

I have unsuccessfully Googled everything I can think of to locate a reason for this behavior and have noted some discussion about similar results but can’t find a resolution.

Thanks in advance.

Tom Davis