¿How to solve '500 Internal Server Error' ?

Hello. I am configuring restricted access to a directory within my site, using the file '.htaccess' which references a file where the list of users is, denominated 'htpasswd'; but having already uploaded the two files (in the same folder), when I try to access via web to the protected folder, the first time is displayed the popup asking for username and password, but once I enter the data is displayed the following message:

Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator, support@xxxxxxxxxxx and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

And the next time I go back to try to get, not even asks for my username and password, but immediately the same above error message is displayed. ¿What could I be doing wrong in the process ? Thanks and I hope you can help me.

Initially I tried the protection placing the file ‘.htpassswd’ in the root, and accordingly placing the first line of ‘.htaccess’ like this: “AuthUserFile /.htpasswd”. At this point of time the problem presented was exactly the same (the first time the system asked me for the username and password, and then it displayed the error message; the following times not even asked for the user data and immediately it displayed the error). So that's the reason I opted to move the '.Htpasswd' to the same protected directory to detect well what was my mistake.

I have also tested leaving the '.Htaccess' file completely blank and, thus is not generated any error message; obviously it does not request data to validate username.

Initially I had expected the original password of the user within the '.Htpasswd' file, it was encrypted by the Crypt() function of PHP, but this did not happened.

The contents of my '.Htaccess' file is:

AuthUserFile /ruta/.htpasswd

AuthName 'Por favor, introduzca usuario y contraseña'

AuthType Basic

Require valid-user

The contents of the '.Htpasswd' file is:

uprueba:cumGzwtU82Vts

I have noticed that removing the line 'Require valid-user' the error is not generated - but obviously the system lets access the directory without validating the user. I even tried changing this line with 'Require user uprueba', but thus the same error message is generated.

I also changed the permissions on both files to '755', even to '777', but the error is still generated.

--

HUMBERTO