Re: High CPU Usage in Amazon EC2

Igor,

On 4/5/14, 4:57 PM, Igor Cicimov wrote:

> On 06/04/2014 5:51 AM, "Christopher Schultz"
> <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>> Igor,
>>
>> On 4/4/14, 5:39 AM, Igor Cicimov wrote:
>> >
>> > On 04/04/2014 1:05 AM, "Christopher Schultz"
>> > <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> <mailto:chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> them in
>> >>
>> > Enable the stunnel logs maybe they will reveal something?
>>
>> I don't think stunnel has changed much. Besides, the stunnel processes
>> aren't eating up the CPU: it's the httpd processes that are.
>>
> Yes but apache actually connects to stunnel and can be affected by it in
> case of any issues it has.
>
> I would also try to run pstack again some of the pids consuming the cpu
> to find out what are they doing.
>
> Basically since the kernel got upgraded any of the parts used here might
> be possibly impacted by some new or existing bug.

I have some more data. I have launched two EC2 t1.micro instances based
upon the same old snapshot that I had available. I upgraded 3 packages
on one of them (httpd and two dependencies: mod_ssl and httpd-tools) and
ran a load test using JMeter.

I have these aggregate numbers for the two machines:

Linux kernel 3.2.38 / httpd 2.2.23
Samples: 9942
Average: 715
Median: 347
90% Line: 1500
Min: 159
Max: 47157
Throughput: 35.1 k/sec
KB/sec: 120.4

Linux 3.2.38 / httpd 2.2.26:
Samples: 9941
Average: 1124
Median: 344
90% line: 2687
Min: 159
Max: 117918
Throughput: 35.1
KB/sec: 120.4

Otherwise the configuration is essentially the same: same modules
loaded, etc. The numbers from above represent essentially a trivial
request to my Tomcat backend.

I'm not sure I can chalk-up the above difference to simply network noise
(specifically, average, max, 90% line). What I'm observing here is
certainly not the extent of the problems we are experiencing, but I have
noticed a difference between these two versions as provided by Amazon's
yum repo.

I'll see what happens if I start to update other components as well.

-chris