Deploying an FCGI C filter on shared hosting, Action mime-type configuration

Greetings,

I am developing a website to provide solutions to physical engineering problems (civil, mechanical, structural etc) and I will ultimately require a means of calling compiled ANSI C programs from the site. These programs will reside on my user account with my hosting provider, which runs Apace 2.2.26 under RedHat 4.4.7-4. The prevailing fcgi module is mod_fcgid.c (not mod_fastcgi.c).

As a first step I am in the middle of getting to know my technological limitations and restrictions under a shared hosting environment.

To date I have configured my testing linux box at home to nearly exactly match the server environment. To this end I have compiled several c programs under the fcgi-dev kit and can upload them to my hosting server and they work with the following $HOME/www/openengr/.htaccess:

<FilesMatch ".+\.oea$">
   RewriteEngine On
   RewriteBase /
   RewriteRule ^(.+)\.oea$  /c-bin/tiny-fcgi?file=$1.oea [L,NC,QSA]
</FilesMatch>
### Deny access to files without filename (e.g. '.oea')
<FilesMatch "^\.oea$">
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
</FilesMatch>

where oea = OpenEngrApplication file extension. This is not working as a filter because FCGI_ROLE = RESPONDER, as verified in output statements in my .c code, and my understanding is the fcgi specification requires FCGI_ROLE = FILTER prior to accessing the data file (test.oea, for example).

What I feel is a more robust solution is to for this to work:

AddType application/x-httpd-oea .oea
<FilesMatch ".+\.oea$">
   SetHandler application/x-httpd-oea
</FilesMatch>
### Deny access to files without filename (e.g. '.oea')
<FilesMatch "^\.oea$">
    Order Deny,Allow
    Deny from all
</FilesMatch>
Action application/x-httpd-oea /var/www/c-bin/tiny-fcgi

The action, when invoked by the apache server, searches my account for ${HOME}/www/c-bin/tiny-fcgi/test.oea, where test.oea is just a text file in $HOME/www/openengr. I have used SetHandler fcgid-script in $HOME/www/openengr/c-bin/.htaccess when attempting to get this last .htaccess to work.

I'm hoping for assistance in a correct setup where I can create filter(s) to process my .oea files, much like php acts like a filter for .php file-type extensions.

I need to overcome this hurdle so I can move on the meat of my website, which is the engineering calculations.

I have spent every waking hour during non-work hours getting my infrastructure ready, but I'm finding not only my time limited, but I need more sleep!

Thanks in advance for your time.

Mike