From: "Walter H." <Walter.H@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:31 AM
To: <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: dynamic virtual hosts

Hi,

On 12.03.2014 16:15, Rose, John B wrote:
We have been experimenting with "mod vhost alias" and "mod rewrite" methods of dynamic virtual hosting

They both work fine for …
abc.persons.domain.com
xyz.persons.domain.com
 Etc.

We would also like to be able to do dynamic virtual hosting for a mixture of sub domains and domains …
111.subdomain1.domain.com
subdomain1.domain.com
222.subdomain2.domain.com
subdomain2.domain.com
subdomain3.domain2.com
subdomain4.domain2.com

  1. Does any have preferences, pros, cons, what is best for scaling to hundreds of virtual hosts over years, etc between the alternative methods of dynamic virtual hosts configurations?
  2. Has anyone used a method they think is best for dynamic virtual hosting for a mixture of domains and subdomains

Is there a semantic reason for having this many subdomains?
in present I can see many sites that make use of many subdomains for a not logic reason;
for restrictive smart surfing this can be a very good feature - just block a subdomain, to prevent stupid _javascript_s or css files to be downloaded ;-)
using scripts from foreign sites that are only used on client side is the worst, you can do;

if these represent sites of individuals than it is a good idea to have each one his own subdomain for the complete individual's website;

Greetings,
Walter