Re: ApacheCon (OT question for US taxpayers)

On Wednesday, March 05, 2014 09:49:45 AM J.Lance Wilkinson wrote:
> Rich Bowen wrote:
> > On 03/04/2014 10:21 PM, LuKreme wrote:
> >> For those of you who are US Taxpayers, are all costs of attending a
> >> convention like ApacheCon fully deductible? Including hotels and
> >> transportation? Food? Bar tab?
> >>
> >> (Yes, I know, but I figure there’s a load of you paying for this
> >> yourself who know, and trawling through the IRS web site will
> >> probably only confuse me).
> >
> > No, none of these expenses are deductible. Is there some reason you
> > think that they might be? Are you considering them education
> > expenses? Might be worth consulting with an accountant. However, my
> > accountant has *never* indicated that these expenses are
> > deductible.
>
> 	Depends on your situation, I think.  If you're going there using
> 	funding from your work, no.
>
> 	If you are self-funding, it MAY be different.
>
> 	As an analogy, try this:  My younger brother is a Montessori
teacher.
> 3/4 of the year, his expenses are not claimable because they're paid
> by his employer, the school he works for.  This includes any
> conferences they might SEND him to.
>
> 	BUT he's also a trainer of OTHER Montessori teachers.  3 months of
> the year for nearly 2 decades, he's had to file a SCHEDULE C to
> document the expenses he incurred WORKING AS AN INDEPENDENT
> CONTRACTOR for the Montessori Training group that presented the
> teacher training.  His YEAR-ROUND transportation, lodging, meals,
> every expense he paid out of pocket while doing theis INDEPENDENT
> CONTRACTING, that he received not a salary for, but rather a fee for
> services, were deductable, I believe, provided they satisfied the
> requirements for that Schedule C.
>
> 	Like Rich says, consult an accountant.
You maybe right some of the expenses may be deductible if its in
connection with your job, but not the ones covered by your employer.
Also as far as I know bar tabs are never deductible unless you are in
sales and entertaining customers, even then it iffy.
--
openSUSE 13.1(Linux 3.11.10-7-desktop x86_64|
Intel(R) Quad Core(TM) i5-4440 CPU @ 3.10GHz|8GB DDR3|