Running two different versions of httpd in same machine

Hi,

We are running apache httpd server of version 1.3.27 in our production machine RHEL WS 4.0. We are running two process of httpd (same version) one for proxy listening to 80 and other listening in 8000. Input requests are received by this proxy and it in turn redirects it to the backend httpd. Both these httpd are running in RHEL WS 4.0.

Due to some security problems, we were asked to upgrade the httpd version to 2.2.X. Because of some technical issues, we cannot upgrade the backend httpd immediately. So we planned to upgrade only the front end proxy httpd such that front end proxy (facing customer end) runs with 2.2.X version and the back end httpd continues with the previous one.

I believe running two different versions of httpd in the same machine will not cause any issues. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As we don't find httpd rpm in any RHEL repo, I compiled it from source using rpmbuild command and generated httpd rpm with 2.2.X. As we have to install instead of upgrade over previous version, I have to install this new version in a different directory (i.e to change prefix in config options) say 'httpd2' or some thing similar to avoid conflict issues with the existing version.
What are the changes I have to do in httpd.spec file ?.

Do I have to consider any other scenario for my case ?

Thanks,
Venkatesh