Socket level time-out configuration in the Apache HTTP server

Is there socket level time-out configuration in the Apache HTTP server?  If yes, which module(s) should be included and how should they be configured?

Background: Using the Apache 2.2.24 HTTP server,  we are running a PHP process that performs long-running operations to send output results to client's browser.  Sometimes the user becomes impatient and closes the browser before the PHP process has finished.   They then re-open the browser which starts a new PHP process while the original process is still running.

Our goal is that as soon as the connection to the browser is closed, the PHP process should be killed/terminated instead of continuing to process an occupying valuable resources.

We have tried using the ob_flush() function in PHP to trigger Apache to terminate the process but would prefer to do this with Apache.

It appears this functionality exists in the Apache Tomcat software (See: http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/timeours.html) so we'd like to know if similar functionality can be configured in the Apache HTTP server.

Thanks,