How to further restrict access to sub directories with ldap-group

I cannot seem to further restrict access within an authenticated realm using LDAP.

I can successfully limit access to a directory tree using the following...

<Directory "/home/abc/public_html/mywiki">
    Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks
    Order Allow,Deny
     Allow from all
     AllowOverride All
     AuthType Basic
     AuthBasicProvider ldap
     AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
     AuthName "Please enter your standard EMAIL address and Password"
     AuthLDAPURL ldaps://ldap.myco.com/o=myco.com?uid
     Require valid-user
     SSLRequireSSL
</Directory>

But I want to further restrict access to a subdirectory below this.
So in addtion I added a further directive.
I have tried various options, but what I really want is to use the <Directory> directive again...

<Directory "/home/abc/public_html/mywiki/data/secrets">
    Order Allow,Deny
    Allow from all
    AllowOverride All
    AuthType Basic
    AuthBasicProvider ldap
    AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
    AuthName "Please enter your standard EMAIL address and Password"
    AuthLDAPURL ldaps://ldap.myco.com/o=myco.com?uid
    Require ldap-group cn=mygroup,ou=Groups,o=myco.com
    SSLRequireSSL
</Directory>

The above <Directory> directive (both are in the config file) seems to be ineffective.
Yet from the documentation the longest directory should be the final directive applied.
I have also tried using the <DirectoryMatch> and <LocationMatch> directives for the "secrets" subdirectory. Both these also fail to enforce the ldap group requirement.

I have also verified the ldap group lookup works: when I require this in the top level directory then folks not in that group do get rejected.

There is an .htaccess file, but i think it is not a problem...
order allow,deny
deny from all
Satisfy All

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong would be most appreciated.

version: httpd-2.2.3-22.el5
os: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3

Thanks in advance

Jon B