Re: Signs of Apache Web Server been hacked

I'd start by running strace on the Apache PID that's running bash - strace -pPID, see man strace for more information. You may have to install the package, if strace isn't currently installed. This should give you an idea of what the process is doing, if anything.

You could also look for exec, system, etc functions in the php scripts by grep'ing for the functions. Check the php manual for a full list functions.