Help me understand "Waiting for Connection"

Hello Users,

I've been monitoring full-status output and I've noticed some unexpected results. If I request "http://localhost/server-status" every 1 second for 5 seconds, on the last request apache reports that it has 5 active requests all with a "Request" of /server-status and a "Mode of Operation" of "Waiting for Connection". If right away I again request "http://localhost/server-status" every 1 second for 5 seconds, the output of server-status basically stays the same showing 5 active requests.

This makes me think that for the first 5 requests apache started up a new worker to handle each one, and the worker waited for further requests, but for the next 5 requests apache decided that client had enough workers dedicated to it and recycled the existing waiting workers.

I experimented with sending a "Connection: close" header but it didn't change the outcome.

Is what I described above expected?
Is the output of /server-status accurately reporting he status of the server?
What configuration does the number of 5 come from?

I'm using Apache/2.2.16 (Debian), the prefork variety.

The prefork config looks like:
    StartServers          5
    MinSpareServers       5
    MaxSpareServers      10